Sunday, May 10, 2009

Paper Waves

Tissue Wave II ©Evertson 2009

A second in my series of crumpled paper waves. Like so many
inspirations this began as an accident of light. I walked by
a window and morning light hitting some packing
material gave it a peculiar water-like feel. I spent less than
an hour with it until the light effect passed. Most of those
photos were lost in my hard drive crash but this was one
that I had backed up. While I wait for the light to manifest
again I'll continue to play a bit in photoshop.

The Great Wave Off Kanagawa Hokusai

The "original wave" and still the best after countless
printings and reproductions later is Katsushika Hokusai's
ukiyo-e print from the 1820's. This print is one
of Hokusai's series "36 Views of My. Fuji" The series is
a masterwork of light, subject and composition.

5 comments:

Owen said...

Hmm, nice, always had a soft spot for Japanese prints...

Mineke Reinders said...

Don't know what you did with that packing material to give it this color and texture, but the result is wonderful.

Ria Vanden Eynde said...

That's lovely! It's nice to read where others get their inspiration from-recognizable too-and I adore Hokusai, what a nice piece :)

William Evertson said...

I'm always amazed at the breadth and depth of ukiyo-e artist's influence on western painters. From Whistler, Degas, Cassatt, Van Gogh, Bennard, Monet and other early modern giants you can feel the inspiration of the japanese masters.

Thanks Mineke - 90% was there in the original shot. This piece has a layer of drops I made from scratch plus a photo of spray painted fine wire mesh. But then when I look at your watercolors I always have the same "how the heck does she do that" reaction :)

Hi Ria - Thanks for the comment. I just realized I haven't added a link to your work. Dog ate my hard drive? OK - done! :)

jafabrit said...

It never ceases to amaze me what inspires us and packing material? It looks beautiful and yes, has that simplicity that reminds of Japanese prints (which I agree are stunning).

I enjoyed seeing this.