Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Things We Do


Table

Jafabrit had a very interesting link to an essay by Alain
Beriot on Being an Artist. His major thread concerns the
difference between the business of art and being an artist.
I spent some time re-reading the section concerning audience.
Who are you creating for? Yourself? Everyone? Or can you
learn to be discerning; can you recognize that everything to
everyone isn't possible.


Edgar Degas L'Absinthe oil on canvas 1876

I build cabinetry and furniture to make a living. In fact most
people seem to prefer to recognize what I do for money as
what defines me. A quote from Degas in Beriot's essay seems
to sum up a general artist's malaise. "Your pictures would have
been finished a long time ago if I were not forced everyday to
do something to earn money" Leaving aside Degas' politics and
personality I have to wonder what that other work was?


Stools

Mostly I enjoy the cabinet work that makes money; I enjoy even
more when I exhibit my art. I just don't expect to see a pot of
gold there. The dialogue Corrine opened in Jafabrit's Art found
resonance with me as I try to balance "being an artist" with not
wasting time pursuing false leads and dead ends. Just don't ask
how the recession is effecting my cabinetry; suffice it to say I've had
a bit more studio time.

I've also had more time to explore other art blogs and I'd like to
point out Art Ravels as a fresh perspective from a perceptive
observer of the NY art scene. Follow the link; I don't think you'll
be disappointed as you follow her to various museums and galleries.

9 comments:

Owen said...

Hey Bill... ah the eternal question of the starving artist...Reminds me of Bukowski working for years for the Postal Service... Anthony Trollope also worked for the Royal Mail if I'm not mistaken, and how many others... the roads to recognition, critical acclaim, and financial reward for an unknown artist are long and treacherous. If those are examples of your woodworking, looks good... I guess you must be familiar with Wharton Esherick ??? A well rounded artist if there ever was one, painter, etchings, furniture, his house...
Thanks for the links too...

William Evertson said...

Thanks Owen - they are examples of my "other job"; of course I approach that as as artist also :)

Art said...

Oh gosh, thanks for mentioning me. As it happens, I called you lovely on my blog today. : ) Check it out.

Mineke Reinders said...

Wow Bill, your furniture is very nice! You really are multi-talented. I think the question of "audience" (for whom do you create your art) is unanswerable. To pay the bills, for recognition, for yourself, for art, for your next show... they can be one or all of these and more.

r garriott said...

Thank you for the intriguing post, and links to other blogs, as well as photos of your exquisite furniture, which is art in its own right.

William Evertson said...

Thanks Mineke - Finding audience in art is so much more difficult than furniture but finding time is the most difficult of all. It took me a long time to find a satisfying balance in artistic activities.

William Evertson said...

Thanks for the visit and comment aRT. It looks like you have a nice balance with your art and design work as well as your garden. I sometimes grumble a bit that my wife and I spend so much time on the garden but without the gardener what would Monet paint? I'll be sure to visit your site some more and promise not to lurk.

r garriott said...

Eh, Lurk Away! Why do we post these things, anyway...!

jafabrit said...

your table is beautiful. I missed this blog entry, thanks for the shout out. I did find Alain Beriot's essays very helpful. And how true when you talk about wasting time pursuing false leads and dead ends.
Wonderful link (artRavels) by the way.